banner

Monday, April 2, 2007

Hello New Life

There's a double entendre in my subject line...I wonder if you guessed it. I suppose I should have known there would be consequences...

First, hello new life! I'm (mostly) settled in with the exception of unpacking. I return to work tonight and I am really enjoying my new place.

I got a series of phone calls from Jeff this morning. Interesting since we've not really spoken lately and when we have it's been tense at best. His car broke down and he needed to know where I thought he should take it. I gave him my mechanic's name and phone number and then got a follow up call asking me to pick him up there. I did and got the follow up favor request to borrow my truck for a bit (technically his truck, so no real "no" was possible) - he had a job interview to go to.

Intriguing that he still comes to me when he needs help. I often feel like saying "Hey, you decided that you didn't need me in your life - so STOP NEEDING ME".

In other news, it looks like I have a date in the near future. Yes, I am going to go on a date. It's sort of a blind date, although we spoke on the phone for a few hours last night. He seems really nice and his pictures are pretty cute. He owns his own small business and we had a lot in common. He is fresh (3 months) out of a bad break-up of his own that seemed similar to mine with Jeff. His girlfriend has some sort of brain injury that affected her personality in ways like Jeff's mental illness affects him. He'd been hurt too. He has a 26 month old son and is active in his son's life. The baby is in Boston, but he travels every 6 weeks or so to see him. I have to admit there was a minor connection over the phone, so it might be a nice date. He lives about an hour away from me and is as busy as I am, so it's 'safe' too in that he's not 'too close'. His name is John and ...we'll see.

As far as my double entendre goes - ironic, really. Damnedest thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff is like a leach that you can't get off. You need some way of holding a match to him. Remember, he's a parasite; not a symbiant. Aren't you the person making the payments on the truck anyway? I'd buy him a bus pass and wish him well. You felt like you couldn't say now and he knew it; but he still should not have asked. He is a master of manipulating circumstance to get people to do what he wants them to.

Good luck with John. I hope that there is a connection and that he is a god in person as he seems on the telephone. Did you meet him on line or through a mutual friend?