banner

Sunday, April 1, 2007

Home Sweet Home

Well - every muscle in my body is in pain and I'm tired but we're in!

The first night wasn't quite the bliss I had imagined, to say the least.

Taylor and I used a dolly and our brains and brawn to successfully move huge amounts of things and spent the entire night unpacking our kitchen. They were HEAVY but we figured ways to use the dolly as a sort of ramp and managed fine (and were proud!)

Around midnight, we collapsed (exhausted) into heaps on the bedroom floor with pillows and blankets to get a good nights sleep for the BIG move the next day.

Around 12:30 am, the power flickered and the lights went out. The house filled with a screaming siren and we both nearly went into heart failure. Apparently we have a built in burglar alarm system. This lasted for about 45 seconds.

It happened again at 1:40, 2:15, 3:47, 4:27, 6:19 and 7:27 am.

We had no sleep. Each time we achieved REM we were torn from it by all hell breaking loose.

I already have a phone call into the realtor.

Moving day was tense. I was exhausted, my sister and her fiance were hung over and Brad was fighting the flu. Everyone was cranky. Still, we managed to unload the last piece of furniture by 6:45 pm and everyone fled.

I spent the night moving furniture and unpacking what I could. I did manage to cook a small meal and take a bath. I slept like the dead.

Today will be more unpacking.

I'm broke, tired and aching - but content.

The old house was hollow and empty when I left it. I took everything. Jeff came home to his own belongings - a big screen tv in an empty living room, a bed, a desk and his boy's bunkbeds. I took every plate, every cup, every fork.

It was all mine.

I know him well enough to know that this will depress him. I almost feel bad about it.

But for now, I am busy settling in. I have a lot of work ahead of me to get this place settled and then to get back to work to replenish my now empty bank account.

But, I'm home.

6 comments:

Skater said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! This obviously isn't mine, but it seems appropriate:

May you always be blessed;
with walls for the wind,
a roof for the rain,
a warm cup of tea by the fire,
laughter to cheer you,
those you love near you
and all that your heart might desire.

Anonymous said...

Yayyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!! :):):)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting moved in. Things didn't go off without a hitch but you've still got a place of your own now. I hope this move finally closes the chapter in your life that was Jeff. I don't feel sorry for him and his empty house. He knew this day was coming and had plenty of time to get some furniture and house wares of his own.

Anonymous said...

Yuuuuuuuuuuuhu!!
Congratulations!! I feel so happy for you. Take it slowly, enjoy every moment of the move.. the unpacking, the moving furniture around!
Hope you can rest and have a better week this week.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on moving in! I find that's the best thing in the world!

Anonypus said...

I know him well enough to know that this will depress him. I almost feel bad about it.


All I can say is YEAH, CHRISTINE! I see this statement as you putting yourself FIRST.