banner

Saturday, June 2, 2007

Knocked Up

I saw Knocked Up with my friends last night and it made me more physically ill than a slasher flick.

Because....fuck.

If Katherine Heigl (the stunningly beautiful blonde from Grey's Anatomy) can fall that far than there's no hope.

Katherine plays Allison. A gorgeous E! employee promoted to on-camera talent. To celebrate her promotion, she goes out with her sister, Debbie (who I adored) and immediately picks up the ugliest guy in the place. She spends the night dancing with him, drinking and then invites him home to have sex with him.

He's overweight, hairy, sloppy, stupid and - well....gross.

Of course she turns up pregnant - but what baffled the hell out of me was her decision to try to make it work with this guy. He has NO job. NO money. Spends every minute of the day with his loser friends getting VERY high. He has NO ambition, NO social charms, NO hygiene - he has nothing....

At 8 months pregnant, in a MAJOR earthquake - he abandons her as he runs out the door with his bong leaving her to stumble behind him stupidly.

There is humor, but it's all the tasteless kind. Basically, I spent the entire length of the movie with a "What the fuck?!" look on my face and feeling queasy.

I've heard of dating down, but this is more than down. This is dating outside your species.

And if this is what's out there for a single girl - - - I swear I'm turning lesbian.

Maybe Katherine Heigl's free.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Something is wrong with you if you think Seth's character is a step down. Have you seen Heigl's soon to be husband? He is the skinny version of Seth. And Heigl stunningly beautiful, seriously?

Anonymous said...

Wow - just um wow. Puts you in a whole new perspective.

Drama Queen Christine said...

Seriously? The unemployed, druggie, non-motivated man who saves his bong before the pregnant girlfriend in an earthquake is NOT a step down?

Seriously???

perdido said...

LOL I haven't seen the movie, but the way you describe him, he definitely sounds like a step down and she may not be stunning but she is definitely beautiful

In re: jeff's behaviour - maybe now that the pressure (i.e. no strings/relationship) is off, he comes out of his protective shell. But also, maybe he just gets a thrill out of the game. Who knows. Sometimes, I don't think you ever really know anyone.