banner

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Let's Play "Who Had the Worst Night Tonight"...

I went to work tonight in a good mood, prepared to make a lot of money.

I didn't expect to be a witness to an attempted homicide. I didn't expect to go into shock staring at a bloody floor. I didn't expect to be giving statements to police.

I walked into the kitchen and everything was normal. I had 3 tables. Suddenly, there was a commotion from the cooks area just out of my line of sight that sounded like yelling and pots and pans crashing. I froze. I heard someone scream "He's stabbing him, he's stabbing him!"

I stayed frozen. I had no idea what was happening. I didn't know if a customer had gone back there or if a madman had run in or what...

I shit you not, tonight at work, a fellow employee picked up a gigantic knife and stabbed another employee in the neck 4 times for no apparent reason. Both men are nice, sweet, quiet and long-time guys.

The details are a bit like flashes from a bad dream. I remember the sounds. I remember seeing my general manager covered in blood yelling to call 911. I remember going to my tables not knowing what the fuck to say to them. Gee, your orders going to be a bit longer - we're down two cooks?

The police came and locked down the restaurant. They had every patron leave. One lady actually had a heart attack and more paramedics were called. In retrospect, it's astonishing that I did not have one myself. They shut us down for the night. We were all interviewed and then released.

The moment they locked us down I walked up front and saw Brad and Taylor outside. They were coming to eat and see me. I went outside and hugged them and filled them in and told them to leave.

When I left the restaurant, I was still in shock. I still am now.

I can't believe this was my night. This is too surreal for words.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

dang--I'm glad you are ok. You must be terribly shaken up

Rose

Anonymous said...

I'm just glad that you are OK. Hopefully, you are going to stay away from the restaurant for a while. (It will probably be closed for a few days anyway). Maybe take some of the unexpected time and speed it with Taylor. Big hugs to you.

Drama Queen Christine said...

With less than 2 weeks to my move, I need this money.

We're reopening today and I'll be there tonight.

Anonymous said...

Im so sorry that this happen to you. Im glad that you are doing ok. good luck tonite.
smile... everything its going to be ok.
Hugs