banner

Friday, March 16, 2007

The Deceivers

Brad may be the writer, but I have to admit that I have many times wished I could write a book. I have the story, the title and the tragic plot twists but whenever I have sat in front of a blank Microsoft Word page, I just go blank on how to even begin it.

MWCB's comments in my last post were somewhat on the mark. I have to disagree with his thinking Brad wants me and I don't want him. The truth is that he doesn't want me. He did once but he got over it. No matter how skilled a man might be at hiding his feelings, I can't imagine that some hint wouldn't slip through and Brad is like a brick wall that I have run up against. As for me wanting him, I have many times thought I do...or might...but because our relationship is probably the most important one in my life I have (for once in my life) tread lightly and wanted to be able to be sure about exactly what I felt before I voiced that to him and he has denied me any opportunity to find out. I think if I spent time with him alone, either that old chemistry would resurface and shine....or not. Without that time, it's irrelevant. It's a mystery I can't solve and it's too important to 'guess' at.

I would call my book The Deceivers and it would ultimately serve as a warning to anyone who loves.

My characters would include:

Brad, the steadfast but somewhat irresponsible writer who cherishes his family but loses himself in his own failures just long enough to turn to another woman through the safety of the internet...ultimately changing the dynamics of the family he loves. A tiny slip, an error in judgement, a small opening in his life to an outside predator and he becomes a deceiver.

Christine, the follow-your-heart dreamer who cherishes her family but has great frustration with Brad's lack of responsibility and motivation and is changed and hurt by his indiscretion to the point that she later loses her own heart to the interloper and becomes a deceiver herself.

Jeff. the professional con-artist sociopath who is lost in himself and sees Brad and Christine's marriage as a symbol of his own romantic failures and decides to destroy it and take it for his own - forgetting that he can never be the other half of a perfect match because of his own inner demons. One true partner does not a 'partnership' make. Jeff would be the master deceiver.

So far, the story only chronicles the lasting pain of decisions made for the wrong reasons and all three end up lost and alone.

I'd really like my story to have a happy ending, but I can't imagine introducing a 4th character to my story to give my heart to and find that elusive happy-ever-after ending - and the Hollywood twist to make every reader swoon would ultimately have to be Brad and Christine finding one another again and I just don't see that as being possible.

Still, maybe someday I will write it and create my own fictitious ending. The only problem is that it would be like reliving it all and would hurt so much.

But you have to admit...a work of fiction that links back to my blogs of the past 3 years would be interesting reading.

If only I knew how to write...

Right now, the blank Microsoft Word page just haunts me like an impending surgery that I am not sure I will survive.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear DQC:
i love reading your posts. I feel like your life is similar to mine. Im also alone with 2 kids...
Keep following your heart and you will never be wrong, cause you and only you will be the master of your destiny.
Best wishes,

Anonymous said...

Christine--

Plenty of people write novels on private blogs. Just saying.

Also, I don't think Jeff either stole you away from Brad because he wanted what he couldn't have. I also don't think he even thought he wanted a romantic perfect match.

The pieces of Jeff that are missing wouldn't be thinking perfect match. Really, he doesn't have the ability for it. It was just a matter of "I want" He really isn't capable of more than that. Those are the missing pieces.

I don't think you have pieces missing, but the Jeff in your head, even now, isn't the Jeff that is. I don't even think he meant to deceive you, because frankly I don't think he has the capacity to care about you. I think that is the hardest part.

We all make assumptions based on the fact the we are all human, but I don't think Jeff is human really. He's missing the parts.

Rose

Anonymous said...

Most books are Boy gets girl. Boy loses girl. Boy gets girl back. The only question is which boy.

"Brad tried to describe his own loneliness and I had to correct him..." Right now, that's about the closest you are going to get to him admitting that he misses you. You will find out your answer when Taylor is 18 and your shared parenting responsibilities are lessened.

Even though it wasn't all his own doing, Brad brought this on everybody because of his online affair. He probably feels pretty guilty about that when he thinks about it.

We don't have time machines and we can't go back; but both of you are wiser now. Hopefully, the time will come where you can use that hard-earned experience in a relationship. Either the wall will come down and you will "know", or it will get built ever higher.

Remember, the next chapter will only be written when Jeff is completely out of your life. Until then, you're just treading the same ground in slightly different patterns.

perdido said...

have you thought about maybe partnering with a "ghost" writer - I think it would be a great story too, but if you don't have the ability, then maybe the other person and you could set up some kind of partnership - better than nothing! just an idea : )