banner

Monday, February 19, 2007

I'm Going to Wear Purple

A lovely change is settling into me today and I hope I can stretch it into a lifetime.

It finally dawned on me.

I'm going to wear purple.

Did you ever read that charming poem about the woman declaring she will be an eccentric old woman who wears purple with big red hats?

Why wait?

I have no one but myself to impress and I'm going to live again.

Once upon a time - bloggers who read years ago remember - I was eccentric. My co-workers knew me as the girl who wore feathered boas around the office and decorated my office like a combination of Mardi Gras, Valentine's Day and a Bordello. I went ghost hunting with "professional ghost hunters" just to see. I joined film festivals. I danced on fountains. I dyed my hair neon pink for a month. I was the life of the party.

I lost that after Brad and I had our problems. A small piece lived on, but the Jackal killed the rest in me.

I'm resurrecting her.

I'm going to wear wildly creative ensembles that may or may not match.

I'm going to attend galas alone happily.

I'm going to dance on fountains again.

I'm going to meet people and accept invites for events and attend them alone and proud. I'm not going to sit in a corner.

I'm going to plan and save for exotic travel for Taylor and I. Never again will I just visit a friend in another state - I'll stop by to see a friend while Taylor and I go on an oyster-shucking expedition or mine for diamonds in a volcano or some other such thing.

There's nothing and no one to stop me. If it repels men, then all the better. If it attracts men then they'll be prepared for me to be who I am.

I'm going to wear purple again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a good attitude to have. You need to be you before you can be with someone else. I applaud you!

Anonymous said...

This is a good time to get started. Tomorrow (today) is Mardi Gras and St. Patrick's day is right around the corner. I know my wife and I ave always enjoyed dressing up and doing things in costume. Even though we're grown, we still get dressed up for Halloween every year. Events like that are fun even if we don't know anyone. And its a lot of fun to get our outfits together. There is no down side to doing something fun and having a good time. Things can be great fun with a little advanced preparation.